SyBBURE students are able to participate in research projects in any lab, with any faculty member, around campus. SyBBURE projects are chosen by the student based on their interests, not based on what projects are available/open. Faculty mentors are able to provide students with an immersion experience in advanced scientific investigation under their guidance. Below is a list of projects current SyBBURE students are working on.
Student Projects 2016-2017:
1. Allison Albright, Faustin Mwambusta, G. Kane Jennings. Mechanism of photocurrent generation in photosystem I films. May 2016 - October 2016.
2. Mario Avaldi, Erin Rericha. Onset of cell polarity in Dictyoselium iscoideum. January 2016 - September 2016.
3. Navin Balaji, Jeffrey Nyman, Sasidhar Uppuganti. Effect of bound water on femoral trabecular bone strength. September 2016 - present.
4. Zachary Bednarke, Roman Buniy, Thomas Kephart. The Beltrami equation for perfect fluids in the Minkowski spacetime. January 2016 - present.
5. Babatunde Bello, Madeleine S. Durkee, William Cox, Christina Marasco, John P. Wikswo. Modeling oscillatory chemical signals for chemiluminescent reactions in microfluidic mixers. May 2016 - present.
6. Cole Carlin, Haneesha Paruchuri, Christina Marasco. Enhancing spatial cognition with virtual reality. May 2016 - present.
Joseph Coombe, Mike Myers. C.H.E.S.S. Commercial Prototype Design, Assembly, and Testing. May 2016 - August 2016.
8. James Cooper, Dylan Burnette, Aidan Fenix. Sarcomere alignment in HCM mutations. September 2016 - present.
9. Will Cox, Babatunde Bello, Christina Marasco, John P. Wikswo. Heterodyne chemistry. May 2016 - October 2016.
10. Kevin Cyr, Jennifer Colby, Christina Marasco. Breaking the diagnostic barrier: A paper-based rheological flow assay for simplified sickle cell diagnosis. Fall 2014 - present.
11. Somtochukwu Dimobi, Kameron Kilchrist, Thomas Werfell, Craig Duvall. Validation of a galectin-8 reporter as a measure of nanocarrier endosomal escape and biologic drug intracellular bioavailability. May 2016 - present.
12. Sophia Druffner, William Holmes. Rho-family GTPases: Creating a unifying principle to determine cell polarity, shape, and behavior. May 2016 - present.
Jad El Harake, Charles Caskey. Aberration Correction for Transcranial Focused Ultrasound. September 2016 - present.
14. Iyana Gray, Monica Moran, Aaron Bowman, Diana Neely. The effect of methylmercury on ubiquitin-E1 interaction and microtubules. May 2016 - August 2016.
15. Samantha Heller, Lauren Beach. Defining the impact of SGM status disclosure on health outcomes to ensure equity (DISCLOSE). September 2016 - present.
16. Attiyya Houston, Christina Marasco. Public health within the realm of device design. May 2016 - August 2016.
17. Amy Hwang, Christina Marasco, Jonathan Ehrman, Sean Bedingfield. Generating a robust, cohesive health platform via mortality data. September 2016 - present.
18. Choongwon Jin, David Cliffel, Adam Travis. CD4-mimetic gold nanoparticles as proposed alternatives to HIV-1 broadly neutralizing antibodies for low resource diagnostics and entry inhibitors. September 2016 - present.
19. Stephen Lee, Udochukwu Obodo, Katherine Friedman. Using CRISPR/Cas9 to determine the role of Rifl in DNA end-processing during non-homologous end joining in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. May 2015 - present.
20. Kelly McGee, Louise Barnett, Cindy Hager, Mark Pilkinton, Spyros Kalams. An analysis of T-regulatory lymphocyte population differences with viSNE. May 2016 - August 2016.
21. Foard Naumann, Charles Caskey, Tony Phillips. Improving Infrared Neural Stimulation of Thalamocortical Brain Slices and Cone-shaped transducer heads for ultrasound focusing. September 2016 - present.
22. Tanner Nelson, John P. Wikswo, Dmitry Markov. Designing a heads-up dribbling reminder device for soccer players. September 2016 - December 2016.
23. Omar Omar, Wael El-Rifai. Role of TFF1 in suppressing pro-oncogenic signaling. May 2016 - present.
24. Haneesha Paruchuri, Christina Marasco, Dmitry Markov, John P. Wikswo. Modeling flow in a blood-brain barrier on a chip using COMSOL. January 2016 - December 2016.
25. Michael Ripperger, Colin G. Walsh. Enabling prospective analysis of care redesign with reCAP, The REal-Time Care Analysis platform. May 2016 - present.
26. Matthew Rogers, Tammy Sobolik, David Schaffer, Philip Samson, John P. Wikswo, Ann Richmond. Engineered microfluidic bioreactor for examining the three-dimensional breast tumor microenvironment. September 2013 - present.
27. Bowen Shaner, Kristy Walsh, Mark Palmeri, Brett Byram. A low-cost device for quantifying tissue stiffness with ultrasound. May 2016 - present.
28. Jarrod Shilts, Kendal Broadie. Matrix metalloproteinase regulation by TIMP instructs synaptic development in Drosophila. May 2015 - present.
29. Nikita Thomas, Marija ZanicThe incorporation of microfluidics to study the effect of tubulin concentration on microtubule dynamics. January 2015 present.
30. Micahael Umenta, Christina Marasco, Douglas Fisher. Narro: A smarter way to search (machine learning solutions to choice paralysis applications). January 2016 - present.
31. Jason Wang, Leon Bellan, Shannon Faley, Brian O'Grady, Jung Bok Lee, Emma Hollmann. 3D culture of human, iPSC-derived brain microvascular endothelial cells in perfused hydrogels. September 2016 - present.
32. Chloe Wilks, Adam Travis, David Cliffel. Tuning the hydrophobicity of AuNPs to model the binding of drugs within microfluidic devices. January 2017 - present.
33. Cassie Woolley, Ethan Lippmann, Jonah Rosch. Development of methodolodgy for performance of genetic knockouts. May 2016 - August 2016.
34. Yunhua Zhao, Erica Shannon, Andrea Page-McCaw, M. Shane Hutson. Calcium ion propagation from epithelial wound sites. May 2016 - December 2016.