SyBBURE students are able to participate in research projects in any lab, with any faculty member, around campus. SyBBURE projects are chosen by the student based on their interests, not based on what projects are available/open. Faculty mentors are able to provide students with an immersion experience in advanced scientific investigation under their guidance. Below is a list of projects current SyBBURE students are working on.
Student Projects 2017-2018:
1. Allison Albright, Faustin Mwambusta, G. Kane Jennings. Mechanism of photocurrent generation in photosystem I films. May 2016 – August 2017.
2. Navin Balaji, Christina Marasco, Leon Scott, Karl Zelik, Jonathan Ehrman. Using sensor networks to monitor tibial loading in active individuals. January 2017 – present.
3. Dionne Black, John Wikswo, Christina Marasco. Further experimentation with heterodyne chemistry using chemiluminescent reaction. May 2017 – present.
4. Karalyn Boyer, Nicole Creanza. Linguistics as a complementary metric for human migration history and the peopling of the Americas. January 2017 – August 2017.
5. Karalyn Boyer, Nicole Creanza. The Effect of Stress on the Avian Microbiome. September 2017 – present.
6. Cole Carlin, Christina Marasco, Haneesha Paruchuri. Enhancing spatial cognition with virtual reality. May 2016 – present.
7. James Cooper, Dylan Burnette, Aidan Fenix, Nilay Taneja. Effects of blebbistatin on betamyosin II concentration in cardiomyocyte models. September 2016 – August 2017.
8. Kevin Cyr, Jennifer Colby, Christina Marasco. A straightforward low-cost test for sickle cell disease. September 2014 – August 2017.
9. Somtochukwu Dimobi, Kameron Kilchrist, Thomas Werfell, Craig Duvall. Validation of a galectin-8 reporter as a measure of nanocarrier endosomal escape and biologic drug intracellular bioavailability. May 2016 – present.
10. Sophia Druffner, Sarah Suiter. Nashville CARES. September 2017 – present.
11. Jad El Harake, Charles Caskey. Transcranial focused ultrasound abberation correction. September 2016 – present.
12. Chengrui Fu, Yevgeniy Vorobeychik. Team formation website application. May 2017 – August 2017.
13. Samantha Heller, Lauren Beach. Improving patient-provider communication to further health (IMPACTFUL). September 2016 – August 2017.
14. Samantha Heller, Lauren Beach, Cali Kirkham, Lewis Raynor. Development of a NLP algorithm to identify transgender patients in electronic medical records. May 2017 – August 2017.
15. Samantha Heller, Christina Marasco. Tech-based interventions for student wellness. September 2017 – present.
16. William Hiser, Lawrence Marnett, Shu Xu. Identification of endogenous cyclooxygenase substrates and inhibitors in vitro. May 2017 – present.
17. Amy Hwang, Christina Marasco, Jonathan Ehrman, Sean Bedingfield. Herias: Generating a robust, cohesive health platform via mortality data. September 2016 – August 2017.
18. Choongwon Jin, David Cliffel, Adam Travis. CD4-mimetic gold nanoparticles as proposed alternatives to HIV-1 broadly neutralizing antibodies for entry inhibitors. September 2016 – August 2017.
19. Alex Jolly, Jennifer Colby, Christina Marasco, Kevin Cyr. A smart phone-based quantification method for assessing sickle cell severity. May 2017 – present.
20. Rayni Jules, Bharat Bhuva, Patrick Nsengiyumva. Characterization of an angle based charge deposition on bulk FinFET devices. May 2017 – December 2017.
21. John Kim, BethAnn McLaughlin, Phillip Wages. Stress response of neuronal cells after exposure to cholesterol biosynthesis inhibitors. January 2018 – present.
22. Emily Layton, Seth Bordentstein, John Shropshire, Jessamyn Perlmutter. Maternal age affects the strength of Wolbachia-induced cytoplasmic incompatability. January 2018 – present.
23. Seungyeon Jung, Ryoma Ohi, Stephen Norris. Role of Kinesin-14 in force balance in the mitotic spindle. May 2017 – August 2017.
24. Jamie Kwan, David Wasserman, Daniel Lark. ECM component collagen I alters mitochondrial function in myotubes. May 2017 – August 2017.
25. Danielle Liu, Craig Duvall, Sean Bedingfield. Polymeric Emulsions for Intracellular Nucleic Acid Delivery. January 2017 – present.
26. Kelly McGee, Louise Barnett, Cindy Hager, Mark Pilkinton, Spyros Kalams. Multidimensional viSNE analysis of t-regulatory lymphocyte population differences. May 2016 – present.
27. Meghan Montgomery, Fionna Harrison, Shilpy Dixit. The effect of induced seizures and low ascorbate levels on alzheimers disease. January 2017 – present.
28. Foard Naumann, Charles Caskey, Marshall Phipps. Investigating ultrasound neuromodulation in the CA1 pyramidal layer of the mouse hippocampus. September 2016 – present.
29. Chuong Nguyen, John Wilson, Daniel Shae. Exploring phase behavior of PEG-grafted polyelectrolytes for intracellular drug delivery. January 2017 – present.
30. Omar Omar, Wael El-Rifai. TFF1 antagonizes TIMP-1 mediated neoplastic proliferative signaling in gastric cancer. May 2016 – August 2017.
31. Omar Omar, Pierre Massion. Mechanisms of Glutamine-dependent oncogenic transformation in the airway epithelium. September 2017 – present.
32. Haneesha Paruchuri, Christina Marasco, Cole Carlin. Enhancing spatial cognition with virtual reality. January 2017 – present.
33. Carla-Jane Pax, Amy Major, Todd Giorgio. Identifying a new therapy to reduce the severity of systemic lupus erythematosus. May 2017 – present.
34. Amaury Perez, Christina Marasco, Jonathan Ehrman. Reflectance-based metaboli rate sensor. May 2017 – present.
35. Michael Ripperger, Colin G. Walsh. CDeape: The clinical decision exploration and prediction engine. May 2016 – present.
36. Chiaki Santiago, Jeffrey Conn, Max Joffe. Metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 3 as a therapeutic target for stress-induced deficits in the prefrontal cortex. May 2017 – present.
37. Emily Schafer, Dmitry Markov, Lisa McCawley, Phillip Fryman. Adapting Neurovascular (NVU) organ-on-chip to examine breast-to-brain metastases. May 2017 – present.
38. Matthew Seh, Christina Marasco, John Wikswo. Validation of heterodyne chemistry theory. May 2017 – December 2017.
39. Luwi Shamambo, Lauren Jackson. Purification of the glo3 protein. May 2017 – August 2017.
40. Luwi Shamambo, Vsevolod Gurevich. Identifying structural shapes of the arrestin-rhodopsin complex. September 2017 – present.
41. Jarrod Shilts, Jake Hughey. Widespread dysregulation of the circadian clock in human cancer. May 2017 – August 2017.
42. Nitya Venkat, Mark Wallace, David Tovar. Rubber hand illusion: Stimulus quality, attentional processing and predictive mechanisms of illusory body ownership. January 2017 – present.
43. Jason Wang, Leon Bellan, Shannon Faley, Brian O’Grady. 3D prtined and solvent-spun PNIPAM templates form multiscale-vascularized hydrogels for brain microvascular endothelial cells. September 2016 – present.
44. Callie Weber, Leon Bellan, Shannon Faley. Neurocascular disease model in a 3D perfused hydrogel scaffold. May 2017 – present.
45. Yunhua Zhao,Yevgeniy Vorobeychik. Developing an Adversarial Machine Learning Library. September 2017 – present.
Previous Student Projects: